Veterinary Assistant | Full-Time | Hiawatha, IA
Assistants | Hiawatha, IA
Seeking an independent and compassionate and experienced assistant to join our team!
Why Petersen Pet Hospital in Hiawatha, Iowa?
Petersen Pet Hospital in Hiawatha, Iowa is a beautiful, progressive, 7 doctor small animal practice. We are AAHA Accredited, Fear Free, Feline Friendly, pocket pet friendly upscale practice with an old-fashioned ethic of kindness, quality and caring.
Our doctors and team are dedicated to making a visit to our practice a low stress event for our patients and their owners and our client testimonials attest to our success. Led by Dr. Petersen and Dr. Saunders, our veterinarians are well educated and experienced. Most of all, they simply love animals. They are backed by a skilled support team that is friendly and enthusiastic.
We utilize gas anesthesia, anesthesia monitoring, pain management, in-house blood analysis, digital and dental radiology, ultrasound, cold laser therapy and laser surgery, endoscopy, orthopedic surgeries, and laparoscopy.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
We are dedicated to establishing a culture of inclusivity and diversity for our community.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an individual who shares our CORE values to join our team as a Veterinary Assistant! Petersen Pet Hospital in Hiawatha, Iowa is a beautiful, progressive, AAHA Accredited, Feline Friendly, Fear Free upscale practice with an old-fashioned ethic of kindness, quality and caring.
CORE VALUES – Integrity/Honesty, Flexibility, Compassion, Accountability and Team Player
Our doctors and team are dedicated to making a visit to our practice a low stress event for our patients and their owners and our client testimonials attest to our success.
Led by Dr. Petersen and Dr. Saunders, our veterinarians are well educated and experienced. Most of all, they simply love animals. They are backed by a skilled support team that is friendly and enthusiastic.
- 1 year Veterinary Assistant certificate preferred but not required
- Must have 2 plus years of working with animals and customer service
- Comfortable with dogs and cats of all breeds and sizes
- Ability to appropriately & safely restrain (when necessary) fractious pets
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand/walk for entire shift
- Have strong client education & communication skills
- Must have a can-do attitude and be a team player
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to think clearly and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to demonstrate maturity, resiliency, and sound judgment when dealing with challenges
- Can maintain a sense of humor in a fast-paced environment
- Dependability and punctuality are a must
Desired Personality Characteristics:
- Flexible Personality
- Attention to Detail with a Great Sense of Urgency
- Friendly & Outgoing
- Strong Communication Skills
- Multitasking capabilities
- Organizational & Time management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Initiative and problem-solving abilities
- Technical skills
$11 – 16/hour, based on experience and specific skillsets
- Clean and maintain the hospital premises, including kennels and equipment
- Clean up poop, pee and other bodily fluids
- Care for boarding patients (clean kennel, feed/water, walk)
- Check-in/discharging patients and providing client education
- Assist doctors and technicians with patient restraint, patient treatment and patient care
- Prepare prescriptions for patients
- Assist with anesthetic monitoring
- Assist with surgical prep and procedures
- Perform routine laboratory testing
- Document and maintain patient charts in Avimark
- Post & record payments
- Schedule appointments for multiple doctors, record messages for doctors and team
- Utilize Fear Free/stress free techniques
- Perform other duties as assigned
We’re dedicated to your well-being and offer a comprehensive package and professional development opportunities to support your work and home life. These include:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug benefits for you and eligible dependents
- Paid time off for full-time employees
- 401(k) plan
- Continuing education allowance for licensed technicians
- Guardian voluntary benefits
Looking to relocate?
Hiawatha/Cedar Rapids is a vibrant city, encompassing unique attractions, exciting events, specialty shopping, a dynamic art scene, and a large variety of restaurants. You’ll find that Cedar Rapids offers one of the best places to live, work and play in the Midwest. Cedar Rapids offers a unique balance of big city amenities without all the typical hassles and headaches that come with a large city.