Licensed Veterinary Technician | Full-Time| Alexandria, VA
Technicians | Alexandria, VA
Seeking an independent, compassionate Licensed Technician to join our team!
Why Caring Hands Animal Hospital in Alexandria, VA?
Caring Hands Animal Hospitals are large, well-equipped, AAHA-accredited facilities. We offer convenient hours six days a week and have an open-door policy to provide excellent service to our clients. Our full-service hospitals offer state of the art care for our patients including computerized patient records, digital radiography, and in-house laboratory.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
We are dedicated to establishing a culture that celebrates all forms of diversity and allows us to be an inclusive service provider in this community.
Licensed Veterinary Technician Responsibilities
- Client communication - provide status updates for hospitalized patients, home care instructions, pre and post-op
instructions, instruct how to administer medications, etc.. Provide accurate information to clients concerning fees,
hospital policies and procedures, etc. Address client medical questions with confidence and direct questions to
veterinarians when appropriate. Can prepare estimates for procedures and discuss financial commitments with clients
supporting hospital financial policies;
- Client Education - preventative medicine, wellness care by age, vaccine requirements, laboratory procedures, etc.;
- Passive marketing - Promote the practice’s products, programs and services
- Customer Service - Greet clients and escort them and their pets into an exam room, escort the client and patient to the
front desk, etc
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner;
- Assist the veterinarian in medical, surgical and dental procedures; prepare patients for surgery; administer anesthesia;
monitor patients during surgery and recovery; administer fluids.
- Properly care for all surgical materials; maintain hospital equipment and inventory. Prepare and maintain the surgery
room, ICU area, exam rooms and treatment areas;
- Follow established procedures in order to assist veterinarians with examinations and facilitate the flow of clients and
patients through the hospital; consult with veterinarians on a daily basis to plan each day’s activities. Keep doctors
apprised of potential medical problems, discussions with clients, etc.
- Record keeping (Use of paperless medical record system. Ensure all procedures rendered during the visit are
documented for proper billing; ensure that all vaccinations, procedures, notes, etc. have been documented in the
- Pharmacy (assist with dispensing medications as directed by the veterinarian, prepare prescription labels and
appropriately package medication);
- Follow DEA, OSHA and established hospital safety guidelines; follow appropriate safety and handling of hazardous
materials. Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a
normal job duty.
- Knowledgeable of common disease states and can alert veterinarians when symptoms change or when concerns arise
with hospitalized patients.
- Possess a wide range of technical skills: ability to give SQ, IM and IV injections; laboratory skills (obtain and interpret
samples including fecal testing, ear cytology, urinalysis, and blood work); demonstrates proper radiograph technique
following safety protocols; performs electrocardiograms; places IV catheters and properly cares for them; understands
the use and care of IV pumps including CRIs; prepares patients and the machine for an ultrasound procedure; prioritize
and handle multiple tasks in a calm, organized manner; performs emergency treatment such as control of bleeding,
opening airways, and external cardiac massage
We’re dedicated to your well-being and offer a comprehensive package and professional development opportunities to support your work and home life. These include:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug benefits for you and eligible dependents
- Paid time off for full-time employees
- 401(k) plan
- Continuing education allowance for licensed technicians
- Guardian voluntary benefits