Veterinary Assistant | Part-Time | Canton, IL
Assistants | Canton, IL
Seeking an independent and compassionate Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist/Kennel Assistant to join our team!
Why Spoon River Animal Clinic in Canton, IL?
We’re focused on making sure our hospital has the right tools to allow our doctor and medical staff the ability to provide excellent service and care. In addition to diagnostic and preventative services, our hospital is equipped with digital x-ray, digital dental equipment, ultrasound, laser treatments, and more. We also offer exotic care, equine and large mammal care, and 24 hour emergency services. No previous Veterinary Assistant experience needed!
Our team wants you to know...
Our facility is equipped to serve equine, cattle, swine, and small ruminant. Behind the main clinic, we have a haul-in handling facility where we treat our large animal patients. This facility is designed to make loading and unloading equine and livestock easy and safe.
- Assisting Veterinarians and Licensed Veterinary Technicians.
- Handling and restraining pets for exams and procedures.
- Assist in the taking of x-rays
- Monitor and collect urine and fecal samples as needed
- Monitor, record, and report physical signs of hospitalized/boarded pets
- Responsible for cleaning/maintenance of hospital.
- Care of hospitalized/boarded pets as needed
- Fecal parasite sample collection and preparation
- Preparation of a prescription drug, other than a controlled substance, for dispensing
- Surgical assistance to a licensed veterinarian
- Greet clients and their pets and complete the appointment sign in process which can include: inputting and retrieving information from the computer, confirming the reason for the appointment, receiving and confirming the client's contact information, letting the medical team know the patient has arrived and escort the client to the exam room with their pet.
- Assist clients with check-out including, but not limited to: ensuring services and product sales are correctly accounted, using the practice management software system, handling money, processing credit and debit cards, accepting and recording various forms of payment, and setting future appointments for follow-up visits.
- Answer phone calls from clients requesting appointments, asking questions about the hospital, requesting medication refills and call into pharmacy if needed as authorized by a veterinarian.
- Make outbound phone calls to remind clients of upcoming appointments as well as reminding owners to fast their pet for surgery, set appointments for pets due for services, etc.
- Understand common vaccination protocols, basic lab tests, common diseases, veterinary terminology and pet behavior.
- Assist in cleanliness and maintenance of the hospital to ensure a great client experience.
- Monitoring the health and comfort of the animals as well as recognizing emergency situations and reporting any health concerns to appropriate personnel
- Documentation of all treatments and abnormal activity
- Walking dogs and picking up after them
- Feeding and providing fresh water to dogs and cats on schedule
- Washing dishes and bowls as well as cat litter boxes
- Washing & disinfecting kennels and cages
- Changing bedding when soiled and replace with clean bedding
- Washing, drying, & folding laundry
- Bathing animals as needed and before going home
- General housekeeping of animal housing, food prep, and laundry areas
- Administration of oral or topical medications including flea and tick medications
- Checking patients in and out for boarding. Responsible for labeling belongings and medications as well as ID collars
- Other tasks needed to ensure the health and safety of the animals
- Competitive salary
- 401(k) plan
- Guardian voluntary benefits